Sunday 5 August 2007

US House passes clean energy bill

I’m glad the US House of Representatives has passed a new energy bill that will require energy firms to increase the amount of renewable energy sources they use by 2020. But I don’t think it goes far enough as it requires only 15% of energy sources to come from renewable sources by 2020, this needs to be at least 25%. Also some of the ‘clean’ sources that are recommended are biofuels whilst they may be clean when burned to produce energy they use up valuable land which, increasing food prices for the world’s poor, and the collection of the biofuels crop will also generate a lot of additional C02 emissions. Having said that I am glad to see that the House wishes to remove the tax breaks that the oil industry receives, these tax breaks are scandalous in an industry that generates huge wealth. I hope this law is amended and becomes law though I don’t know if Bush will sign it into law.

No comments: